Cheap Organization with Coffee and Krylon

Coffee Container Upcycle

This is one of my Upcycle/Repurpose posts – But I’m really proud of them and wanted to show them off! I hope you will indulge me because you might need some pretty yet cheap organization at some point and this is so easy and cheap! Mr. Picky Eater does not like those fancy coffee places like Starbucks that everyone stops at several time a day. A fellow blogger’s husband calls it Tenbucks instead of Starbucks and the hubs says he is correct. I do not know because I do not drink coffee and just never have been inside one. He likes coffee from a coffee maker which means we buy a lot of Folger’s Coffee! He prefers 1/2 Caf but sometimes he will settle for Medium Roast. When we buy it at Sam’s (Costco like store) it comes in much bigger containers.

Coffee Container Upcycle

This is so easy – all you need are these things:

Newspaper
1 Can of Spray Paint usable on plastic – I used Krylon
Chalkboard labels if you want them but you can use anything you want.

Put the coffee containers in the dishwasher or clean them thoroughly and allow to dry completely.

Stuff the cans with newspaper. They will remain red on the inside and since it is food safe, you may want to keep it that way.

Turn them bottom side up on a table with more newspapers on them and spray paint them lightly in two coats.

***Very important step: You must let them cure somewhere for 4-5 days, if you don’t that paint will probably come right off! ******

After you let them cure take the newspaper out – leaving the newspaper inside takes all traces of the coffee smell out –  and if you want labels like mine, go to Michael’s and in the bridal section – you will find them! Put them on and you are ready to go.

Coffee Container Upcycle

Mother Kalamity, is older and canisters are very heavy. She uses these for flour, sugar and even her little dog’s food. They are good for rice, pasta, ribbons, crafts or just about anything you can think of!

I’m going to keep my Spifter and my candy dipping tools in the really tall one. So? What do you think??

I’m also partying here! http://sparklesandastove.com/all-things-pretty-linky-party-17

Photobucket

From The Farm Blog Hop

just us four

photo NEWRIButton275x150_zpsf908716b.jpg

Ducks 'n a Row

Comments

This is awesome — I always wonder what to do with these big canisters (I like the Black Silk) because you just can’t toss them! Lovely.

It’s a little sifter to put powdered sugar on cupcakes and doughnuts so you have better control of it. It has a really long handle so it’s hard to gently store it so the sifter part doesn’t get damaged but this will do it!

I love how you painted them! We drink Folgers, too and I love the cans with the lids, but the red is a little obnoxious. This would be fun to do to give those baked goodies at Christmastime, too.
    Thanks!
    Beth

Extra great idea Beth! – I will begin saving now and paint them in blue and silver (those would be my Christmas colors) That way if they bring them back – I can always keep them instead of refilling as I suspect they would want. :)

Really great idea. I got some chalk labels at Hobby Lobby that I am going to put on jars for Christmas presents. I really like this and I need to get organized. Maybe this will help.

Where do you by Krylon paint? I have seen on Pinterest that they have a glow-in-the-dark kind, but I can’t find it anywhere.

4. pamasaurus says

I think I’m going to start saving my coffee cans for myself (as opposed to letting Daniel use them for nails and stuff) so I can make some craft stuffs containers!

Hi Kelli, this is the second time I am trying to leave a comment on your blog: I hope it works
    Kelli, you know, I would love these, they are pretty, I love the color you choose (very pretty) and the chalkboard stickers too! :-) I would store my craft tools in these!

Thank you Ingrid! You can make your own. If you don’t drink coffee – then you can talk to friends or family who work at a big office where they do drink coffee. They often have them! :)

Thanks Kathy! I won $500 from Krylon for that little project and they have been pinned, shared and clipped over 20,000 times – I never though some paint and coffee cans (plastic ones) would ever be so embraced by everyone! Hometalk even asked me to be the curator of a plastic container board on their site. It’s still shocking to me!

Awesome post! I would love for you to share and link up at my weekly TGIF Link Party if you haven’t already this week. Your favorite posts, most popular, recent or new! The party is open every Thursday night and closes Wednesday’s at midnight. Followed by (Not SO) Wordless Wednesday! http://apeekintomyparadise.blogspot.com/.
    I would be honored if you join us and follow to stay connected Have a wonderful week!
    Hugs, Cathy

What a fantastic way to reuse coffee canisters!

Thank you for linking to Raising Imperfection.
    Please come back Friday to see if you were featured. :)

¤´¨)
    ¸.•*´
    (¸¤ Lanaya | xoxo
    Raising-Reagan.com

I did a set of these for my chicken supplements and treats – I love the idea for the pantry also. And the chalkboard labels are brilliant as is the newspaper to keep the insides clean AND remove the coffee smell. Great post!
    Lisa
    Fresh Eggs Daily

• Robbin says

These are great! My hubby and I drink gallons of coffee and have MANY of these. After these have been painted and have cured for 4 or 5 days, can you wash them?

• Kelli says

Mom washes them in warm soapy water – she does not have a dishwasher in her little apt. so I don’t know if you could use one or not. I would assume if you used a scrubby on it, the paint may scratch off but otherwise they wash up just fine!

9. DJ says

I love this idea. I work in an office and it seems that we have a wedding shower, house warming shower, or baby show once a month and this would be a great personalized house warming/wedding shower gift for a friend or co-worker.

• Kelli says

Thanks for dropping by DJ! Please come again – I think you have a great idea as a shower gift. The smaller coffee canisters are great for rice and beans too!

• Kelli says

Thank you for dropping by Wajiha! My daughter does as well – I have a way to use those Boogie Wipes and Diaper Wipes as well – It’s on Hometalk – do you know that website? Just click on the Hometalk icon to your right and it will take you right there – then look for my project on Hiney and Boogie wipes

What a genius idea! This would never cross my mind in a million years. In fact, we move into a new place this week and the previous owner left some huge coffee canisters like these – you know they ended up in the trash:(

• Kelli says

Darn! That’s too bad – but now when you see them you’ll know what you can do! Thanks for dropping by – I am enjoying the link up!

Congrats on being a Featured Poster on the Home Matters Linky Party! What a great reuse of coffee cans. Super cute and so much lighter than regular canisters. Thanks for sharing this awesome idea. :)

~Lorelai
    Life With Lorelai

• Kelli says

Thank you for dropping by Christy! If you go over to my Hometalk page you will see many plastic repurpose projects – trying to keep it all out of the landfill! :) Please come back again!

Trackbacks

1. […] She shares some amazing recipes that will make you want to lick your computer screen. She was also recently noticed by a national paint brand for her creative juices as well. Even before she got all cutsy with coffee cans, we were attracted […]