Mmmmmmmmmm……Fried Okra

Fried Okra

I am pretty sure that many people don’t know what okra is or at least have never cooked it before. It’s a southern delight and so tasty! I like it boiled as much as I like it friend but it makes Mr. Picky-eater sick to watch me eat boiled okra so when I found this exquisite delicacy at the farmer’s market Saturday, I just had to get it.

When we got home, I washed it very well and then began cutting it like this:

Then I put it in a Ziploc bag with flour:

I poured it out into a colander to get all the excess flour off.

Pour it into a dish:

Using a slotted spoon, put okra into the dish and coat:

Once again, using a slotted spoon take the okra out and place in a big dish where you then sprinkle with flour seasoned with salt, pepper, and whatever else you want – I used chili powder.

Toss to completely coat, cover with foil or saran wrap and place in fridge for at least 30 minutes and up to 90 minutes.

Bring cooking oil up to 350 F degrees and start putting okra into pot with a clean slotted spoon.

Remove from oil with the slotted spoon. Working in batches, continue until all is done. Some people serve this side dish with hot sauce sprinkled on but we eat it with ranch dressing!

Dinner is Served!

Don’t forget to go to Writing, Reading, and Eating to enter to win one of 2 free copies of Taking Care of Mom and Dad! It ends 6/30/12 (at 12:01 AM)!

Comments

I am bookmarking this! I seriously cannot eat a pulled pork or brisket sandwich, without a handfull of these on the plate! I am glad to see your cooking going so well. I knew you were underestimating yourself!

I confess I had never heard of Okra until I read your blog, and now I am interested in what it taste like, and I just read elsewhere (see below) that it’s very good for you!

Okra is a popular health food due to its high fiber, vitamin C, and folate content. Okra is also known for being high in antioxidants and is also often eaten as part of a weight loss diet since it is both fat-free and cholesterol-free. Okra is also a good source of calcium and potassium

I honestly don’t know how to describe it because I’ve never had anything else that it tastes “like”. If you have food texture issues this might not be the veggie for you though. There’s the pod texture and then the little “seeds” inside which are not hard – they are very soft. Last but not least is the mucilage – most people fry that out (Mr. Picky-eater won’t eat it if there is any) but you cannot avoid it when it is in gumbo or stew or just plain boiled………it doesn’t both me but most people do call it slimy! Okra LOVES the heat (originally it is from Africa) so if you have a hot climate you could certainly grow it but the stalks that grow about 4 ft. high and even the pods of okra are sticky and can hurt sometimes!

I highly recommend you eat them if you don’t have issues with it because they are sooooooo good for you!

Thanks for that, not sure about growing them though I live in the UK and as you may be aware our summer at the moment is a wash out, even turning cold enough to put the heating back on for some. I am going to keep an eye out for it in our stores here though, as I am intrigued now. I’m not a particularly fussy eater and like to try new things. Which is how I found Sharon fruit. As I said I will keep an eye out in my store (just did a quick search at tesco, at they have it!!!). Thanks again

I love okra!! In Malaysia we either fry it with dried shrimp and garlic, or in a dried shrimp and chilli paste called ‘sambal’ – awesome!

You gotta’ try it! Dr. Oz says it’s one of the best things you can eat and you know, Dr. Oz is the new Oprah so go worship at this clogged feet and find out the 4-1-1~ :)

Trackbacks