Salmon Patties or Croquettes were a staple in our household when I was little, but we haven’t made them in quite a while. I intended to. Cans of salmon have been sitting in the pantry, just waiting. But I always struggle with what to serve with them.
If they are served as an appitizer, you don’t really have to worry about anything except what sauce to serve them with (cocktail sauce, if you ask me!). But if Salmon Patties are for dinner, folks at my house generally expect some kind of side dish.
It took me a little bit but I think I landed on a great companion to salmon patties, roasted asparagus! This ended up being an incredibly satisfying meal and salmon will not sit for long in the pantry, next time.
- 2 cans of salmon
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 onion, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup bread crumbs, panko, or cracker crumbs
- olive oil or butter
- Drain salmon
- In a bowl, mix salmon, eggs, onion, milk, salt, pepper and crumbs. I used my hands because it’s easier.
- If the mix seems too wet to hold together, add some more breadcrumbs.
- Form into good sized patties.
- Melt olive oil or butter in skillet.
- Brown patties on both sides.
Offer with cocktail sauce, tartar sauce, or a simple lemon wedge.
We hope you love this classic family recipe!