Homemade Cherry Mash Candy

Cherry Mash/Kelli's Kitchen

My dad loved Cherry Mash candy but he was diabetic and could only have one once in a while. When the candy company came out with the Mini-Cherry Mash, it was a very good day at our house. Dad was bed fast by then and I was taking care of him full time while my mom (who was 20 years younger) continued to work. I could buy a bag of those and put them in the freezer allowing one every so often, the bag would last a year. They were hard to find back then (1992) but now it seems nearly impossible.

Lately, I have been reminded of dad often. It is not near his birthday or the day he passed but for some reason I keep catching parts of old John Wayne movies (his favorite), hearing Merle Haggard on the radio, glimpsing the swagger of a tall big man far ahead of me, or noticing the recently returned mirthful glint in my husband’s blue eyes; all reminding me of the man who used to compliment me every day, bought me flowers and candy every Valentine’s Day, held the door for me, held my coat for me, and always stood when I, or any other female, got up from the dining table. Lastly, I started craving Cherry Mash candy.

My quest for Cherry Mash candy took me to several stores throughout the metro area and I finally found them. The taste was not as vivid as I remembered and there was an odd “waxy” taste as well. They weren’t bad, just not as good. Since I’ve been learning to cook I thought I could make my own! I searched the Internet and didn’t find a recipe. One blogger had something close, in that it was cherry and chocolate but it was more of a layered fudge with peanut butter involved and I wanted mine to look and taste like the real thing. I decided I could just make up my own recipe with the knowledge I have acquired over the last year so I pinned that recipe and began searching for cherry chips. Once again, I went to several stores throughout the metro but this time I was not successful. Finally I ordered them from Here. When they arrived, I found on the back panel, a close approximation of the recipe from the blogger – also made with peanut butter and in a layered fudge. That’s when I decided to go all maverick and do my own thing.

O

Recipe for the cherry filling:

1. 1 small can of evaporated milk
2. 1 Cup of mini marshmallows (or 16 large ones)
3. 2 Cups sugar
4. 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
5. 1 bag of Cherry Chips

Directions:

1. Put the first four ingredients into a saucepan with medium heat.
2. While stirring frequently, allow it to come up to a boil.
3. Stirring constantly now, allow to boil for five minutes.

Cherry Mash

4. Take saucepan off burner and quickly stir in cherry chips until smooth.

O

5. Pour cherry filling into a 9 x 13 dish that has wax paper covering the inside.
6. Set dish aside and allow cooling to room temperature. About 45 minutes. Don’t put it in the fridge to hasten the cool down because it will get too hard. Then you will have to use the microwave where it will get too hot. Since you end up waiting the full 45 minutes needed anyway, set it aside and allow it to cool on its own.
7. After 45 minutes has passed, roll 1 teaspoonful cherry filling into a ball and set on baking sheet covered in either wax paper or no-stick foil.
8. When all balls are made, cover loosely and place in freezer for two hours or even overnight.

Coating Recipe:

1. 1 and ½ bags of dark chocolate morsels (18 ounces) **to make up for nuts**
2. ¼ Cup Shortening
3. 1 Cup Chopped no skin peanuts (I used pecans because that’s what we prefer)

Directions:

1. Place morsels and shortening in a double boiler and stir until smooth and creamy.
2. Mix in nuts until well mixed.
3. Take off burner and prepare to dip balls.

O

4. Working in batches of 2 or 3 at a time, take frozen balls from freezer and dip in chocolate one at a time, lift out of saucepan and place on non-stick paper or foil on another baking sheet.

O

5. When all candies are covered in chocolate, set in a cool place until outer chocolate has set.
6. May decorate as desired after candy is completely set.

O

I hope you enjoy these because they are very good. I took some to work this morning and they were gobbled up very quick by those who like cherries. Enjoy!

HungryLittleGirl

Photobucket

BWS tips button

Adorned From Above

Feeding Big

Comments

You may not know this, but St. Joseph is the home of the Cherry Mash. Even though we can get them year round here, I always make them instead. :-) Yours sound delightful! Making my mouth water, that’s for sure!

2. srushton1 says

I’ve never heard of cherry mash candy but yours look wonderful. I am sure your dad would have loved them.

I have never heard of cherry chips either! I was going to go have a look to see if there are other chips I am ignorant about but I think you forgot to add the link.

3. quilt32 says

I’ve also never hard of Cherry Mash Candy or cherry chips. The best food is always the kind we associate with someone or something precious in our lives.
    Lillian
    lillianscupboard.wordpress.com

I should have put a picture of a cherry mash (from their website) in my post – I may have to do that when I get home from work today. You are right – it DOES taste better if we associate it with someone.

4. pamasaurus says

These sound (and look!) amazing!

It must be a southern thing, or I’m too young, but I have never ever heard of cherry mash candy until today. It wasn’t this post either; they had some at Hobby Lobby! I should have bought them just to taste it, haha!

The cherry mash production company is up around St. Joseph Missouri which is not South but mostly Southern people have eaten them…..and they are something older people like. 1918 not only was the first time they were made but they were the year my dad was born (he was 48 when I was born). There are some older folks at Jerry’s flea that are on pins and needles for me to bring some down there. They are very cherry tasting so if you like that taste, you will like it. My mom, husband, and daughter cannot stand them!

I love Cherry in every way! This is perfect for me, not just for Valentines ;)
    Thank you so much for sharing this at Wednesday Extravaganza – hope to see you there again next week – and don’t forget the voting is today!

Thank you so much! I actually already have people requesting me to make some more. That’s pretty amazing to me since that NEVER happens! :) Thank you for following me on Linky!

Reblogged this on The Domestically Impaired Guide to the Retro Kitchen Arts and commented:

This morning I saw Cherry Mash candies advertised in the newspaper and then my co-worker said her mother would love to have a recipe for Cherry Mash so I thought it was time to dust off this Halloween favorite! It’s one of the recipes that I truly made up myself! They ARE delicious, if I do say so myself – even Juanita’s Cocina made them and loved them too!

I can’t wait until I can try making these on my very own. I was introduced to Cherry Mash by my cousin Charlene. We would walk to the little local store and get one of these and proceed to eat them in layers. OH Mmm Gee were they good. Thanks for sharing the recipe. <3 Kim

8. quilt32 says

I was telling my daughter about your post re the Cherry Mash candy, saying that I had never heard of it. The next morning, Halloween, I found a bag on my desk with two large Cherry Mash pieces. She had found them at Hobby Lobby. Now, I’m even more anxious to make your version. I can find the cherry chips online, but the shipping is ridiculous. I’m going to try some of our specialty shops. Your center mixture sounds a lot better than what is in the Cherry Mash.
    Lillian

That’s great Lillian! If you wait a week or two you may find them next to the chocolate chips or near the baking items. They usually stock them around the holidays here so I buy many and checking the best buy date, make it throughout the year.

These sound great, but must be a regional thing as I have never seen or heard of cherry mash candy and I am in my late sixties. I do not think I have ever sen cherry chips in my area groceries either. I would like to give these a try if I can locate the ingredients. I love chocolate covered cherry candy so maybe these are similar.

• Kelli says

They are Nana! Thanks for coming by – I just saw an entire case of those cherry chips on sale at our Wal-Mart. They stock for Christmas and Valentines Day and then sell them out after. I bought up a bunch of bags and will throw them in the freezer……..hopefully you can find them in your neck of the woods because they are great and the only difference in them and chocoalte covered cherry candy is that there is no goo!

10. carol hawley says

your cherry mash candy sounds delicious, would like to try making it, where do you buy the cherry chips? I have never seen then here in our stores[Canada] will try the bulk store. I would like a reply, thanking you in advance.

• Kelli says

Hi Carol! It snowed here yesterday and since we aren’t very good in snow I got to stay home from work today – and can get to your question right away!! As I told the lady above you I saw an entire case at Walmart this weekend – but if you can’t get them there, you can try this link and order them – that’s what I do sometimes call Log House directly (they make cherry chips and also CandyQuick) honestabe@loghousefoods.com or telephone: (800) 328-5631. or you can get them on Amazon. Please let me know how you like them!!

11. Marilyn says

I have never heard of cherry chips either, but am going to have to get my hands on some ….cherry has always been my favorite flavor! I was just wondering if you used a bag of white chips and almond extract and red food coloring…..would this accomplish a close comparison in flavor or completely different?

• Kelli says

I think it’s going to be a completely different flavor. These cherry chips (which were in the discount bin recently at Walmart for 98 cents a bag!) have a tart cherry flavor. So good! You can use the link I provided to order them or call your local Walmart and see if they have any. Thanks!

• Marilyn says

Thanks so much for the advise….. I checked at our Walmart today while out doing grocery shopping…..my husband wants the cold weather to end here because the winter months is when I search out and make new recipes and therefore have had a long list of ingredients every week to shop for…..he sure has enjoyed the food though, but I won’t mention what its done to his waistline! Sorry, back to my point LOL! Walmart did not have them. I then checked at a craft store we have here that carries a long line of cake and candy making supplies….still no luck. So I then went on Amazon and there they were all over the place! I ordered several pkgs. I can’t wait to make these Cherry Mash Candies! I make homemade chocolate covered cherries for a couple of people in my family….once I started, they expected them for every birthday and Christmas! So good, but time consuming wrapping all those cherries in the fondant! I want to try this cherry candy recipe out on them , if there’s any left when I get through! Thanks for the recipe!

• Kelli says

Whew! You gave it your best shot – but at least you are ordering them before it gets too hot for them to be delivered without already being melted in a big blob – but since you are melting them, it would be fine. however, I think your family will love them! at least if they like cherry and chocolate they will. Let me know how it comes out – I would love to know!

12. Marilyn says

Hi Kelli! I received the cherry chips that I ordered, but with busy schedule just now got around to making the Cherry Mash Candy. And boy are they fabulous!! They are nothing like the time consuming chocolate covered cherries that I was trying to get out of making for a couple family members…. completely two different cherry taste. I will try the cherry mash out on them…..I will probably have to make another batch though….my husband and I have just about devoured this first batch!! It brings back memories of an ice cream bar I used to get as a kid at a corner grocery….. a round barrel shaped chocolate covered vanilla ice cream on a stick with this cherry mash in the center. I couldn’t wait to get to the center! Thanks again for a fabulous recipe!

• Kelli says

I am so thrilled! Ijust knew you would love the recipe – I don’t remember the ice cream bar you are talking about – but it sounds like something I should re-create with my ice cream maker this summer!!

Trackbacks