Chocolate Bourbon Pecan Pie

Chocolate Bourbon Pecan Pie  – Kellis Kitchen

Be sure to visit all the other Nutty Participants for Grab Some Nuts Day:  	How to Toast your Nuts by Cravings of a Lunatic 	Flourless Peanut Butter Walnut Brownie Cookies by It's Yummi 	<a href="http://roxanashomebaking.com/nutty-chocolate-chip-brownies-recipe/" target="_

I am very excited to tell you about August 3rd – it is officially National Grab Some Nuts Day #Grabsomenuts! In celebration, 19 other bloggers and I are posting nutty recipes this morning. I am sharing the best nut recipe that I own: Chocolate Bourbon Pecan Pie! First, you should know that we have this pie every single Thanksgiving. Just like our pickled beets, cornbread dressing, and homemade macaroni and cheese, our Thanksgiving meal would not be complete (at least for me and mom) if we did not have a slice of this pie for dessert. This year I made early for this post and mom took it to her Saturday night game night with the other people at the Senior Living Apartments and they were all very happy to eat it!

We used pecans from our backyard that we picked last fall. Because they are native pecans, they are smaller than the kind you buy in the store so I have made adjustments for store bought ones – because our pecan trees do not always produce fruit each year.

Chocolate Bourbon Pecan Pie  – Kellis Kitchen

1 nine-inch pie shell (I made my own crust this time but you can buy it too)

Chocolate Bourbon Pecan Pie  – Kellis Kitchen

1 Cup sugar
1 Cup light corn syrup
½ Cup Butter
4 Eggs, beaten
¼ Cup Bourbon (this is optional and can be left out – it cooks out though)
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
¼ teaspoon salt
6 ounces semi-sweet Chocolate Chips
1 Cup pecans, roughly chopped

Pre-heat the oven to 325F or 165C
In a small saucepan combine sugar, corn syrup, and butter. Stir continuously while med heat dissolves the sugar and melts butter. Take off burner and let cool slightly.
In a large bowl, combine eggs, bourbon, vanilla, and salt.
Temper egg mixture by whisking eggs while streaming ¼ Cup corn syrup mixture into bowl.
Then, while whisking corn syrup mixture in saucepan, stream egg mixture in. Mix thoroughly.
Stir in chocolate chips and pecans.
Pour into prepared pie shell.

Chocolate Bourbon Pecan Pie  – Kellis Kitchen

Cook for 50-55 minutes. Cool completely before slicing.
I always make some whipped cream on top, which is wonderful!

Chocolate Bourbon Pecan Pie  – Kellis Kitchen

Please go visit all the other blogs listed below and then #Grabsomenuts!
Be sure to visit all the other Nutty Participants for Grab Some Nuts Day:

I am attending WEEKEND POTLUCK so come on over and have a sit!

Comments

• Kelli says

I will send you directions to my mom’s house because we took it over there after the one piece because it was too tempting!

1. Debbie says

Can you tell me what kind of bourbon you use? We don’t drink and I don’t know the difference between bourbon and whiskey. It’s like when a recipe calls for wine; I never know what kind they’re talking about so I never try to make it. Thanks.
    Aunt Falice always used to bring Mom a big bag of pecans (unshelled) from her back yard when she visited. What a blessing that was. At Christmas last year, they were $7+ per pound in the stores around here!

• Kelli says

Hi Debbie – we don’t drink bourbon however, we do buy small bottles of Maker’s Mark Bourbon for my cooking and one of the boys bought a bottle that he, his brother, and Mr. Picky Eater drank when he graduated from Law School. If you go to the liquor store go in and ask for the smallest bottle of Maker’s Mark that they have, that should work. Let me know how you like it!

I love all kinds of nuts, so I’ll definitely be checking out all of the blogs. This pie is spectacular, though. I’ll be trying this.
    Lillian

I love that we both did pecan pie, but different ways. Yours is chocolate and mini is bourbon and single serving sized! Although I wish I had more of it now looking at your full sized pie. Guess I will just have to make yours ;-)

I’ll be disowned if I vary our pecan pie recipe for Thanksgiving or Christmas but you’ve just made me realize that there is no good reason I can’t make this right now, just to eat! Oh, happy day! Bet your mom’s friends were thrilled!

• Kelli says

Hi Stacy! Yep, they were thrilled – that’s for sure! Now I’m busy making them Peach jelly – I think they have become accustomed to me making them things! Go ahead and make that pie now!

Kelli, you have a pecan tree in your backyard?! I’m so jealous! I love pecans but darn are they expensive. I rarely ever buy them. This pie is amazing. Chocolate, bourbon, nuts…what’s not to love?!

• Kelli says

I have several pecan trees in my backyard and then, over the fence is a pecan grove! It’s on property that is really not built on so each fall seniors from all over town come there to pick pecans. I even have walnut trees in my backyard. Yes, they are very expensive, aren’t the? I’m a lucky girl! :)

Dude, I can’t believe you have pecans…seriously…in your yard…I’m dying over here. I would LOVE to grow nuts in my yard. But it gets too cold here. I’m so freaking jealous it’s crazy.

I love this pie. Chocolate Pecan is the bomb. Add bourbon and it’s bliss.

• Kelli says

I have found that out – from others too! Nancy up in Vancouver says y’all don’t have many nut trees. If they go crazy this year, I’ll send ya some as a birthday present: That way you won’t have to pay that crazy Canadian tax on it………….I used to date a Canuck! :) The pie is wonderful and I hope you will try it at some point. Maybe if I send ya some pecans! :)

• Kelli says

Thank you David! I’m finding out just how lucky I am through all of your comments! :) I appreciate you dropping by – please come back again!

Trackbacks