Candy Apple Jelly

Candy Apple Jelly

The County Fair will be here tomorrow and this jelly has been entered into fair again. I enter it every year and every year I win a blue ribbon for it! It’s so wonderful and tastes just like a candy apple. It’s great on a biscuit but it’s better on ice cream and since it’s apple time right now – you can make this quickly and have some County Fair at your house all year long!

Candy Apple Jelly

Isn’t it pretty? I love the bright red color that the cinnamon candy brings.

Ingredients

• 4 cups apple juice – cook apples for the juice or use bottled unsweetened and strain our fibers with cheese cloth.
• 1/2 cup red-hot candies
• 1 package powdered fruit pectin
• 4 1/2 cups sugar

Directions

1. In a large kettle, combine apple juice, candies and pectin. Bring to a full rolling boil over high heat, stirring constantly. Stir in sugar; return to a full rolling boil. Boil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat. Pour hot liquid into hot jars, leaving 1/4-in. head space. Adjust caps. Process for 10 minutes in a boiling-water bath.

Happy Canning!

monogram

Comments

It is very tasty indeed! Even my husband who doesn’t like any kind of jam or jelly except Smucker’s grape, like this one and one other kind. You can use it with all kinds of dessert items.

I still haven’t entered the world of canning but will definitely check out your recipes when I decide to do that. Great post on this Candy Apple! ;-)

2. quilt32 says

This sounds interesting. I’ve made a lot of jam, jelly and preserves but never tried something like this. I love your header.
    Lillian
    lillianscupboard.wordpress.com

IT is so wonderful! I promise……..you have got to try it. I won a blue ribbon for it at the state fair 2 years ago……..and it’s beautiful to boot! Thanks for stopping by!

3. Jennifer says

I am guessing that this makes about 5 to 6 jars of jell. Is that what it yields? Plan on making this soon with another type of apple jelly. Want to make sure I have enough jars.

4. Sarah says

Hi there, I made this last night and it smelled so good during the cooking process. It was very easy to make. I choose to use the apple juice instead of apples, so I’m anxious to see how this taste. One question…. How long should I leave it before tasting it? How should it be stored? Refrigerator? Basement where it is cool/dark?? BTW… I ended up with 8 – 8oz Jelly Jars from this recipe.

Hi Sarah – Oh you are going to LOVE this!! I’m so excited that you made it. It won me a blue ribbon at the Oklahoma State Fair one year not too long back you know…….it’s good! I like to let mine sit 2 weeks just as a personal preference but if it’s all jelled up and that will be kind of hard to tell since it is jelly, it doesn’t get real solid like preserves or jam does, then you can eat it after 24 hours.

When I have just a bit left in the pot and not enough for a full jar I put it in a small tupperware bowl with a lid on it and since I generally make mine on Saturdays then Sunday morning we have jelly or jam on biscuits. The Candy apple is good as a glaze on cakes or inside cinnamon sugar topped donuts……….just nearly anything you can come up with besides eating it as a jelly.

I store mine on the pantry shelf where it doesn’t get direct light but the light is on in there several times a day and it is in the house so it stays room tempurature. After you pop a lid though………put it in the fridge and keep it there. Before you pop the lid, push down in the middle of that flat part to make sure it’s still sealed. If it clicks and moves up and down, open it and throw it out – do not eat it. but if the flat part is still firm, it is sealed and good to go! let me know what you think of the taste as soon as you eat some!!

5. Sarah says

I am hoping it will work for jelly on top of cookies my husband makes. He wanted an apple jelly for the these cookies so I thought I would do my part and make it. I guess we’ll see how well it does on top of cookies and then baked. I will let you know.

I have successfully made it with about 1 cup less sugar than stated but any less than that and the pectin won’t work right. But, you CAN make it without sugar and pectin if you 220F if you do not live at high altitudes and it will gel fine!

• Lisa says

It has turned out very well! I am very pleased and the kids LOVE it! It set up like I wanted it to. I cant wait to make more and hand it out for Christmas. I have an apple tree that I take the apples from. Then for christmas I have a nice little basket for the families and have a loaf of crusty bread, crackers, jelly and apple butter with christmas candies, makes the perfect gifts! Thanks for the new Jelly!