Mother Kalamity called this evening to visit. When I was young, she used to get upset with my Nana who would call to visit seemingly not knowing that an entire hour of time on the phone was too much for a working mother with a husband and a farm! Now, my own mother calls to visit and thinks I’m rude if I cut the conversation off before an hour—and I get upset. We have both become our mothers! She told me about her game-playing friends that play dominoes and Bunco on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 6-9 PM and how their Christmas gathering will be tomorrow night. The theme is hor d’oeurvres and desserts. As I listen to her talk, it dawns on me that she is hinting around that I will make something for her to take (mom doesn’t cook real well either). Well sure mother – It’s 7:00PM and since I leave for work at 5:00AM and return at 5:00 PM I have plenty of time to whip something up! She mentioned the strawberry Bundt cake with lemon icing I made earlier in the year, neither of which I had ingredients for. When I offered to figure something out, she agreed without hesitation.
Orange Cake w/ Dark Chocolate Ganache
There was no time to make a cake from scratch but I did want it to be special so I thought I would “special-up” a boxed mix. I had this mix on the shelf:
2 4 oz. single-serving Mandarin orange fruit cups, drained them then chopped roughly
1 box of Orange supreme cake mix
red and orange food coloring (optional)
1/4 cup orange Juice
1/4 cup of sugar
1 cup of heavy cream
1 10oz bag of dark chocolate chips
2 tbsp butter
Chocolate sprinkles (optional)
Mix up the cake batter as directed on the box of cake mix.
Add the mandarin oranges to the cake mix.
I also wanted it REALLY orange because it’s the holidays and I wanted it to be festive. So, I added 50 drops of yellow and eight drops of red food coloring. It came out really orange but not fake looking.
Pour it into a Bundt pan and bake it according to the box directions.
To keep the cake moist so while t cooling, put ¼ Cup orange juice and ¼ Cup sugar in a sauce pan and heated just until sugar was dissolved then spoon it over the cake after taking out of pan and placing on a wire rack. It takes about 2 hours for it to completely cool.
After 2 hours, place 1 Cup heavy cream in a saucepan on the stove allowing it to heat up to a simmer but not a boil. Take pan off of burner. Then I put a 10 ounce bag of Cup Dark chocolate chips plus 2 Tablespoons butter in the pan and stirred until it was gooey and chocolaty-smooth………….oh yum! I let it cool just a few minutes.
Then I poured it over top of cake in all its gooey goodness! Pour chocolate sprinkles on top. Now, doesn’t that look like those Receptionist Pen candies that are orange (or raspberry) on the inside and dark chocolate on the outside?
As the Quality Assurance Manager of our house, I had to cut a piece and eat it prior to taking it for so many elderly people to chow down on! Enjoy!
Orange Cake with Dark Chocolate Ganache
- 2 4 oz. single-serving Mandarin orange fruit cups drained them then chopped roughly
- 1 box of Orange supreme cake mix
- red and orange food coloring optional
- 1/4 cup orange Juice
- 1/4 cup of sugar
- 1 cup of heavy cream
- 1 10 oz bag of dark chocolate chips
- 2 tbsp butter
- Chocolate sprinkles optional
- Mix up the cake batter as directed on the box of cake mix.
- Add the mandarin oranges to the cake mix.
- Add 50 drops of yellow and eight drops of red food coloring. It came out really orange but not fake looking.
- Pour it into a Bundt pan and bake it according to the box directions.
- Take the bundt cake out of the pan and place it on a wire rack.
- In a sauce pan heat ¼ Cup orange juice and ¼ Cup sugar until sugar dissolves.
- Spoon the juice and sugar mixture over the cake. Allow about 2 hours for it to completely cool.
- Place 1 Cup heavy cream in a saucepan on the stove allowing it to heat up to a simmer but not a boil. Take pan off of burner. Then put the 10 ounce bag of Cup Dark chocolate chips plus 2 Tablespoons butter in the pan and stir until gooey and chocolaty-smooth.
- I let it cool just a few minutes.
- Pour ganache over the top of cake evenly.
- Pour chocolate sprinkles on top.