How are you doing? I’m doing great! This week held Top Girl and Son-in-law’s anniversary as well as Top Girl and Wonder Boy’s birthday – we have been so busy! Mr. Picky Eater even made Rocket a great swing from left-over lumber:
A few weekends ago it was rainy and cold on Saturday so I wanted a warm and comforting dessert; I also needed to make a dish using Eggo waffles for a contest. I made the most delicious bread pudding I have ever made and even though I did not make it to the winner’s circle, I feel like I did because I will be making this dish again and again. I made a big mistake when writing the recipe onto the eForm for Eggo. In Direction #8, I told them to put in 2 Tablespoons of Butt! I forgot to write butter- can you believe it? I should have gotten in the finals based on the hilarity of it all. I hope you like the recipe!
Bread Pudding with Butterscotch Caramel Sauce
1 Box of Home-style Eggo Waffles, toasted or you can just use leftover waffles from breakfast.
2 Cups Milk
1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
6 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter, divided
1 Teaspoon ground Cinnamon
1 Teaspoon Vanilla
3 Large Eggs, Beaten
1 1/3 Cups Heavy Cream, Divided
10 ounce jar Butterscotch Caramel Ice Cream Topping
4 Tablespoons Rum, optional
4 Tablespoons confectioner’s sugar
1. Using Pizza Cutter or sharp knife cut all toasted Eggo waffles in small squares.
2. In a small saucepan, stir 4 tablespoons butter, brown sugar, 2 Cups Milk, vanilla, and cinnamon over low heat until sugar and butter are dissolved – do not allow boiling!
3. In medium bowl put the waffles and pour over milk mixture and stir. Allow to sit for 30 minutes.
4. Whip eggs and add to bread pudding mix.
5. Pour into 9×9 inch pan that has been sprayed with non-stick spray.
6. Put pan of hot water on lowest shelf of oven pre-heated to 350 F. Then put bread pudding on higher shelf.
7. Bake for 40-50 minutes until pudding is set and golden brown on the top. Remove from oven.
8. In a small saucepan over medium heat, pour in 1/3 Cup heavy cream, ice cream topping and 2 tablespoons butter and warm until butter is melted and all is incorporated.
9. Whip Cream adding sugar until stiff peaks form.
10. Serve pudding w/sauce & whipped cream