This month’s Muffin Monday challenge was to work with an ingredient you’ve never worked with before so I made Carrot Muffins. I chose “healthy” – I know it’s kind of funny but I have never really worked on a purely healthy recipe before but I had several incentives: First, Mr. Picky Eater’s new boss lady brought him some shredded carrots and I wanted to do something nice for her. Second, several of the ladies at Mr. Picky Eater’s new office have some dietary challenges and I wanted to remain within the parameters of that as well. I got to work on a plain muffin recipe that could handle some carrots as well as other goodies like a replacement for the oil generally used in them. I came up with a good recipe on the very first try! One of the ladies said they really liked them and would be happy to eat any more that I would care to make – I feel like that’s a good sign and it also keeps Mr. Picky Eater popular with his co-workers!
1 1/2 cups carrots, peeled and finely grated
1/2 cup pecans, chopped
1/2 cup golden raisins
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup all – Purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon or nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 350
- Line a muffin tin with liners – spray lightly with non stick spray
- In a bowl, mix the pineapple juice, carrots, walnuts and raisins together allowing to soak for about 30 minutes.
- In another bowl, mix the sugar and applesauce until well blended.
- Add the eggs, one at a time until fully incorporated.
- Add the vanilla and continue mixing for about 30 seconds.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Add the wet ingredients to the flour and stir until combined.
- Drain the juice and add the carrots, nuts and raisins to the mixture stirring to combine.
- Fill each muffin liner about 3/4 full and bake approximately 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
I hope you enjoy these recipes as much as I and the folks at Mr. Picky Eater’s office did – and they are good for you! I enjoyed using healthy ingredients. I might do it more often now. Enjoy! Now check out everyone else’s muffins for Muffin Monday!
- Berry Mango Swirl Muffins from Farm Fresh Feasts
- Brown Sugar, Pistachio and Garam Masala Muffins from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Carrot Muffins from Kelli’s Kitchen
- Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins with Cardamom Browned Butter from The Spiced Life
- Marmite Muffins from Passion Kneaded
- Prawn and Curry Leaf Muffins from Food Lust People Love
- Spinach, Bacon and Cheese Breakfast Muffins from A Day in the Life on the Farm
Rosewater, Banana and White Chocolate Muffins from Making Rebekah Rose
#MuffinMonday is a group of muffin loving bakers who get together once a month to bake muffins. You can see all our of lovely muffins by following our Pinterest board.
Updated links for all of our past events and more information about Muffin Monday, can be found on our home page.
Well done going healthy, Kelli! Love the pecans, brown sugar and applesauce with the carrots!
Karen @ Karen's Kitchen Stories
Mr. Picky Eater and his office mates are quite lucky!! These look and sound very tasty.
These muffins sound wonderful, and I know about healthy muffins so that’s High Praise. What a great idea to try applesauce for oil. I’ve never tried that in a muffin.
I love carrot muffins! The hubby loves them too, especially if I make them taste like carrot cake. Which is surprisingly easy to do with healthy ingredients. These look fantastic! My recipe doesn’t have raisins which sound like a yummy addition. Definitely going to try!
Have a great day Kelli! 🙂
Karen (Back Road Journal)
Yes please, I’ll take one…they sound great.
Wow, I think for all the parameters you had to work with, you did a great job! 🙂