Do you remember visiting Shoney’s as a kid? I know there are still some around the U.S. but not nearly the number there used to be. With the slimmed down number, comes upgrades and updated looks like this (used by permission of Shoney’s).
But nothing will change how excited I would get when we would drive up the “back way” to Tulsa, through Haskell to visit Nana and Jim-Pa, and as we hit the outskirts of T-Town, I could see the iconic Big Boy
that foretold I would be among the chosen few in my neighborhood because Shoney’s had a buffet and a buffet, to me, was like eating around the world in an hour….why, I could have a little spaghetti like I was in Italy, an enchilada from Mexico, 2 fried shrimp from the Ocean, a baked potato from Ireland, some of that broccoli and cauliflower salad with the really good dressing from some Southerner’s mind and to top it off? Why strawberry pie of course! If I wanted, I could put chocolate syrup on top of the ever-so-cool Reddi-wip! Who, in their right mind, could resist all that? Not the 9-year-old me, that’s for sure. Anticipating the Mount Rushmore of Strawberries encased in some kind of red sweet goo with beautiful ribbons of white Reddi-wip around the edge and mid-way up the mountain made me weak in the knees with joy!
A while back, I began using The Complete Southern Cookbook by Tammy Algood. I love it so much because it has recipes that my family likes and that I remember from childhood. Last month, Alice Mizer from “A Mama, Baby, & Shar-pei in the Kitchen” asked a bunch of us bloggers if we would like to participate in a project where we would each giveaway our favorite cookbook – I jumped at the chance! I’m offering up a copy of the 800 recipes in The Complete Southern Cookbook, along with 13 other bloggers who are giving away THEIR favorite cookbooks. Each giveaway runs for 30 days but the first one began on February 1. The last one is tomorrow over at That Skinny Chick Can Bake! Below is a list of all the bloggers, the addresses to each cookbook giveaway post, and the cookbook they are giving away – please visit all the ones you are interested in and I sure hope you enter this giveaway because I would love to send it to you…….as long as you live in the U.S. as well as APO and FPO addresses because I want military families, living abroad to be able to participate as well!
Here’s the list:
1. Alice from “A Mama, Baby & Shar-pei in the Kitchen” with “The Bread Baker’s Apprentice: Mastering the Art of Extraordinary Bread” by Peter Reinhart
2. Christy from “Confessions of a Culinary Diva” with a French duo, “My Paris Kitchen” by David Lebovitz & “Around My French Table” by Dorie Greenspan
3. Chris from “Mama’s High Strung” with “The Flavor Bible: The Essential Guide to Culinary Creativity, Based on the Wisdom of America’s Most Imaginative Chefs” by Karen Page & Andrew Dorenenburg
4. Adriana from “Great Food 360” with “The Cuban Table: A Celebration of Food, Flavors & History” by Ana Sofia Pelaez
5. Kim from “Liv Life” with “Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World”
6. Heather from “girlichef” with “Cooking with Frank’s® RedHot® Cayenne Pepper Sauce cookbook” by Rachel Rappaport.
7. DB (Foodie Stuntman) from Crazy Foodie Stunts with “An Appealing Plan: A Year of Everday Celebrations” by Krayl Funch
8. Kathy from “Bakeaway with Me” with “Amy’s Bread” by Amy Scherber and Toy Kim Dupree
9. Anna from “Anna Dishes” with “Bouchon Bakery” by Thomas Keller
10. Valerie from “Lifestyle Food Artistry” with “What’s Cooking/Que Se Cocina en Puerto Rico?” by Ezratty & Hirsch
11. Ala from “Wallflour Girl” with “Top with Cinnamon: Stylish Sweet & Savory Recipes” by Izy Hossack
12. Stacy from “Food Lust People Love” with “An Everlasting Meal: Cooking with Economy and Grace” by Tamar Adler
13. ME with “The Complete Southern Cookbook: More than 800 of the most delicious down-home recipes” by Tammy Algood
14. Liz from “That Skinny Chick Can Bake” with”The Silver Palate” and “The New Basics Cookbook” by Shelia Lukins & Julee Rosso
There are easy ways to win. The way to open all the ways to win, just make a blog comment and tell me what your favorite kind of pie is!
****One last thing: Please check out Top Girl and my newest venture – our website called Yum Goggle where you can find over 30,000 of the best recipes you will find on the Internet! It’s like Pinterest for food only****
Now for the pie – it’s easy peasy and found in the chapter on strawberries – don’t you just love how she made a chapter for each “kind” of recipe – Look!
1 Cup Sugar plus 4 Tablespoons more sugar
¾ Cup water
2 Tablespoons Cornstarch
2 lb Clam Shell of fresh strawberries, cleaned and hulled
1 flaky pie crust – premade or your own homemade, pre-baked scored with a fork
1 Can Reddi-wip
Chocolate Syrup (optional)
Clean and hull the strawberries. If you don’t want them big and whole, then you can chop them up, I like them whole. Then put the berries in a bowl and sprinkle the 4 Tablespoons of sugar over and around those berries then set aside for at least 30 minutes.
Put the water, sugar, and cornstarch in a medium sauce pan on medium hot stirring constantly until it all turns clear.
Take off the heat, put strawberries in a big bowl then pour liquid over top and gently fold.
Put it all in the pie crust and place in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
Right before serving, spray Reddi-wip around edge of pie and mid-way up.
String chocolate syrup over top if you want.
Serve and Enjoy like you have never enjoyed a pie before!
If you like Southern cooking and recipes or want to learn to cook southern or if you are stationed in some other country like Germany or Japan and your spouse is from Georgia with you being from Michigan – then this cookbook is for you!
****Disclaimer: I bought my own cookbook and I will purchase and send the winner’s cookbook – nothing was provided free of cost to me********
I’m over at Weekend Potluck so why not come on over and check it out – there are 100’s of recipes for you to choose from!